RFR: 8241192: [macosx] Wrong letter typed after ´ symbol when using Finnish layout

Jayathirth D V jdv at openjdk.java.net
Tue Feb 8 15:45:05 UTC 2022

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:38:35 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

> If we press " ´ " (on U.S. keyboard layout it is the [+] button just before the [delete] button), and then press "s" , 2 "´" characters are entered in a text field instead of "´s" with "Finish" keyboard layout.
> This is because, although " ´ " is construed as "complex" char and inserted properly the next "s" character is treated as non-complex character as it's utf8Length is 1 and utf16Length is 2, so we need to explicitly make it a "complex" char sequence if the code point is 0x73 ie "s" in Finnish layout for it to be inserted properly.

I am trying to understand the fix and why we are adding these checks. Looks like this change is similar to https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214578 fix.
Also it has history of https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8214578 -> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8191178 -> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8068283.

Right now going through the history of fixes but check added looks okay to me.