RFR: JDK-6998249: Wrong behavior/Javadoc of JTable.tableChanged(TableModelEvent e)

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Fri Jan 28 21:35:11 UTC 2022

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 22:11:27 GMT, Harshitha Onkar <duke at openjdk.java.net> wrote:

> Updated JTable's tableChanged() method docs to explicitly mention the coordinate system of the rows and columns.

> I  wasn't able to locate the code that does model-to-view coordinate mapping for rows from here.

That's worrying. So maybe it doesn't exist ?

When I look at TableModelEvent docs it also says at the VERY BEGINNING of the class docs ..
/**
 * TableModelEvent is used to notify listeners that a table model
 * has changed. The model event describes changes to a TableModel
 * and all references to rows and columns are in the co-ordinate
 * system of the model.

So at the very least then these docs would be wrong too !?!?

I think look at the code that does "new TableModelEvent(...") and it is in methods caller fireTableCellUpdated() which is defined on the TableModel.

So it goes back to what I said to you earlier (somewhere) - don't just trust what is written in a bug report - verify it.

So I think you should do some more looking at code and actual testing to verify.
Using RowSorter  and/or dragging rows around ...