RFR: JDK-8290469: Add new positioning options to PassFailJFrame test framework [v4]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Fri Jul 29 22:05:40 UTC 2022

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 00:27:04 GMT, Harshitha Onkar <honkar at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Additional position setting (TOP_LEFT_CORNER) and a method to obtain bounds of test instruction frame are added to PassFailJFrame to handle positioning of multiple test frames.
>>
>> In scenarios where multiple test windows might be present, the test windows might overlap the instruction frame. In order to fix this TOP_LEFT_CORNER position option is added that positions the test instruction frame at top left corner with main test window below it.
>>
>> Additionally `getInstructionFrameBounds()` is added to obtain the position and dimensions of test instruction frame.
>
> Harshitha Onkar has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   added screen insets to account for taskbar position, doc changes

Well .. there surely must be test scenarios where a Frame is required. Perhaps the test moves it, iconifies, needs
a specific size .. expects focus to move in a certain order between components in the frame .. wants to use
heavyweight AWT components .. .in some of these I expect the extra instruction part doesn't matter but you only have to find ONE case where it matters .. then there's the fact you'd have to rewrite all the existing tests. And why a JSplitPane, anyway ? Odd choice.

I can imagine that it might be interesting to add a new version that works with a JPanel as the container for the test and let a test author decide if they want to use that for future tests.