RFR: 8190907: Windows 10 default Korean Font Malgun Gothic available not used by GUI elements even though available without Korean Language Pack [v3]

Dmitry Batrak dbatrak at openjdk.java.net
Fri Mar 4 09:24:59 UTC 2022

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 05:07:44 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Malgun_Gothic(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malgun_Gothic) had replaced Gulim korean font so it needs to be updated to show korean fonts
>
> Prasanta Sadhukhan has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Revert dialogInput. Add Bolditalic

If I may comment, in the past we received a noticeable amount of complaints about Korean text not rendered in our IDEs on Windows. This was solved by installing Korean font pack, but relying on users always doing that by themselves doesn't seem to provide the best user experience. So, two years ago, in JetBrains Runtime we ended up replacing Gulim/GulimChe/Batang with Malgun Gothic. This works well for us so far. I understand that this approach can give worse results for users that do install Korean font pack. But, I believe, the 'chaining' proposed by Naoto can actually be implemented, if desired - we just need to introduce a new 'category' to the properties file, say `korean_supplementary`. By putting it before `korean` in sequence definitions, we'll make e.g. Batang used if it's installed, and fall back to Malgun Gothic otherwise.