RFR: 8236987: Remove call to System.out.println from ImageIcon.loadImage

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.java.net
Mon Mar 21 13:22:31 UTC 2022

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 04:10:48 GMT, Tejesh R <duke at openjdk.java.net> wrote:

>>> N for current bug, where to change to change the status to "ABORTED"......?? As I cannot change in ImageIcon class......
>>
>> Why can't you change the status in `ImageIcon`? It's where you change it.
>>

>>             loadStatus = mTracker.statusID(id, false);
>>             mTracker.removeImage(image, id);
>>             if (loadStatus & MediaTracker.LOADING != 0) {
>>                 loadStatus = MediaTracker.ABORTED;
>>             }
>>
>> The first two lines already exist, right after the catching `InterruptedException`. You just need to add the `if` block to amend the status.
>
> How about setting the status to ABORTED only if it is Interrupted.....?
>
>>             try {
>>                 mTracker.waitForID(id, 0);
>>             } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>>                 bIsInterrupted = true;
>>             }
>>             if (bIsInterrupted == true)
>>             {
>>                 loadStatus = MediaTracker.ABORTED;
>>             }
>>             else
>>             {
>>                 loadStatus = mTracker.statusID(id, false);
>>             }

That's a good point. However, you have get the status from `MediaTracker` first: the image could finish loading before the thread was interrupted.

        try {
            mTracker.waitForID(id, 0);
        } catch (InterruptedException e) {
            interrupted = true;
        }

        loadStatus = mTracker.statusID(id, false);
        mTracker.removeImage(image, id);
        if (interrupted && (loadStatus & MediaTracker.LOADING != 0)) {
            loadStatus = MediaTracker.ABORTED;
        }

On the other hand, if the thread isn't interrupted, `waitForID` returns only after the image moves into its final state: `LOADED`, `ABORTED`, or `ERRORED`; if its status is still `LOADING`, the thread is interrupted.

Therefore my original suggestion is still correct: the status is amended only when the thread is interrupted. Yet the intention of the code seems clearer with the additional `interrupted` flag. At the same time, I'm still inclined towards the shorter version without the flag.