RFR: 8283323: libharfbuzz optimization level results in extreme build times [v3]

Magnus Ihse Bursie ihse at openjdk.java.net
Thu Mar 24 00:37:49 UTC 2022

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:38:52 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Magnus Ihse Bursie has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Update comment to show we don't care about these files.
>
> Do we really want to change the product performance characteristics based on the compilation time? Can we try parallelize/cache or something first?

@mrserb Phil said that we don't even use the subset part of harfbuzz.

And unless you're backing up your claim that this patch is changing runtime characteristic with data, that's just a guess, just like the initial optimization level of this library (and as most of the native libraries in the JDK... :-() was just a guess. Otoh, that we get a build time regression for these two files is a proven fact.

What is it you want to cache?