RFR: 8269806: Emoji rendering on Linux [v2]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Fri Mar 25 20:43:49 UTC 2022

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:36:28 GMT, Nikita Gubarkov <duke at openjdk.java.net> wrote:

>> It was implemented in JetBrains Runtime a year ago and was ported & refactored for this PR
>> It includes:
>> - Bitmap glyph loading via Freetype
>> - Manual scaling & transformation of bitmap glyphs with nearest-neighbor or bilinear-mipmap style algorithms depending on the text antialiasing hint
>> - Storing BGRA glyphs in glyph cache & rendering them as plain images, as currently used XRender text drawing functions doesn't support colored glyphs
>> - Small fixes in related code like null-checks which could cause NPE & comment typos
>
> Nikita Gubarkov has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   8269806: Fix builds with old Freetype (before 2.5)

![font2dtest](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/30127347/160197568-d9f79b93-1444-4700-adfd-cabd022addc1.png)

This  screenshot is Font2DTest with your current patch and -Dsun.java2d.xrender=false on Ubuntu 20.04
I don't understand how you aren't seeing the garbage emojis, since your patch has no X11 support.
Where the garbage glyphs are, they appear as correct colour emojis with xrender.