RFR: 8190907: Windows 10 default Korean Font Malgun Gothic available not used by GUI elements even though available without Korean Language Pack [v4]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Fri May 13 22:22:50 UTC 2022

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 06:02:28 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Malgun_Gothic(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malgun_Gothic) had replaced Gulim korean font so it needs to be updated to show korean fonts
>
> Prasanta Sadhukhan has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   korean fallback added

I still don't understand why they are the same for you .. I added korean-fallback to my local fontconfig and ran in the Korean locale (changed my windows region to Korea and rebooted) and they are different for me.

What I do seem to be seeing is that because we now have UTF-8 as the default encoding and that we have no
UTF-8.ko that it goes the fallback route .. and so although you get korean by fallback it prefers Chinese and Japanese fonts which isn't right for a Korean locale

I believe we need to add a line like the ja one
sequence.allfonts.UTF-8.ja=alphabetic,japanese,dingbats,symbol
+sequence.allfonts.UTF-8.ko=alphabetic,korean,dingbats,symbol

[See https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/8662 for more info and we likely need to do more of these lines and perhaps you need that PR pushed to include in your testing .. alas I don't even have a single approver yet, so nowhere near the two I need !]

.. even without that I was OK perhaps so long as the fallback seqeuence had "korean" - I'd have to re-test that

So I don't know if that will cure  them all being the same for you but it might.