RFR: 8294241: Deprecate URL public constructors [v2]

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.org
Tue Nov 1 06:52:40 UTC 2022

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:00:01 GMT, Phil Race <prr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> You have jumped through some refactoring hoops to be able to apply the deprecation suppression to as little code as possible .. having made such changes, then why didn't you just make the recommended change instead ?
>
> Should I presume that the recommended route will have some nasty little incompatibilities we will need to be careful of first ?

Converting these use-sites to URI will require care and working through issues on a case by case basis. This is because URI is strict and will reject bad input that URL may have handled differently. It may, for example, require changing the exception handling so that exceptions such as URISyntaxException (or IAE if code is changed to URI.create) maps to what is appropriate for code using URL. So slow and careful work for future PRs I think.