RFR: 8178698: javax/sound/midi/Sequencer/MetaCallback.java failed with timeout [v3]

Sergey Bylokhov serb at openjdk.org
Wed Nov 16 08:53:05 UTC 2022

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 19:16:52 GMT, Alexander Zuev <kizune at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> test/jdk/javax/sound/midi/Sequencer/MetaCallback.java line 69:
>>
>>> 67:     // On M1 Mac sometimes system notifies listener about the same message twice
>>> 68:     static List<MetaMessage> received = Collections.synchronizedList(new ArrayList<>());
>>> 69:
>>
>> Is this our bug ?
>
>> Is this our bug ?
>
> Unlikely - it happens on one platform only, looks more like for some reason system restarts the midi stream after first message. But i can not be sure because i only saw it on the CI system once in more than a thousand runs, i was never able to reproduce that exact problem locally no matter how many runs i did. Analyzing the failures from the bug i see it reported twice and both times (and in my failure) it was a first message got repeated.

it really looks like a bug, but before workaround the bug, it probably would be better to fix threading issues in the test. One of the issues is that the flags are updated in the "meta()" on one thread and checked on another thread.