RFR: JDK-6229853: BasicTextAreaUI:create method are contrary to the documentation

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Fri Sep 23 19:09:12 UTC 2022

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:25:48 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

> API specification says about BasicTextAreaUI.create "Returns a WrappedPlainView or PlainView".
> But for [bidi](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/d14e96d9701dae951aa365029f58afb6687a646a/src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicTextAreaUI.java#L168) text, this method returns BoxView and other views , so the documentation needs to be updated.

src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicTextAreaUI.java line 143:

> 141:      * PlainView if non-bidi text is handled
> 142:      * else returns PlainParagraph or BoxView if bidi text is being handled.
> 143:      *

So .. what if the text wasn't bidi but then some one adds bidi text ?

And can we change the summary of the BUG and PR to something grammatically correct, and perhaps even
descriptive such as
"BasicTextAreaUI:create incompletely documents the possible returned View types"