RFR: JDK-8292276 : Missing color names in CSS [v23]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Thu Sep 29 10:56:44 UTC 2022

It's probably a bug. `'Orange'` shouldn't have been there. Both [HTML 3.2](https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/SPSD-html32-20180315/#body) and [CSS 1](https://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1/#color-units) declare only 16 colors from Windows VGA palette.

I've changed the type of the issue from bug to enhancement. This PR changes the specified behaviour of a public method [`StyleSheet.stringToColor`](https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/api/java.desktop/javax/swing/text/html/StyleSheet.html#stringToColor(java.lang.String)). It is explicitly specified, “This will only convert the HTML3.2 color strings or a string of length 7; otherwise, it will return null.” Thus, the current behaviour is *not a bug*. What you propose is an enhancement.

> I've submitted a test job with this fix.

And one JCK (Java Compatibility Kit) test fails, the one which verifies the statement that I quoted above.

You need to update the specification of `StyleSheet.stringToColor`. Once we agree on the text in this PR, I'll submit a CSR for you. This PR can be integrated only after the CSR is approved.

Shall I edit the subject of the issue to be more specific? *“Add named colors from CSS Color Module Level 4”?*