RFR: 8304912: Use OperatingSystem enum in java.desktop module [v3]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Fri Apr 7 01:47:58 UTC 2023

On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 18:43:07 GMT, Roger Riggs <rriggs at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Update classes in the java.desktop module to use the jdk.internal.util.OperatingSystem enum instead of the `os.name` system property to select OS specific behaviors.
>
> Roger Riggs has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Update copyright
>   Replaced a few more uses of os.name.

So if we want to get rid of all the getProperty (etc) calls and unify it then  the way I'd prefer to do this is via a single channel inside the desktop module.
So change everything to use that pre-existing sun.awt.OSInfo class.
Modifying that as necessary. Then that class can be the SINGLE place that has a direct dependency on this java.base internal and we can more easily drop it if required.
Meanwhile I also think there's a better than 50:50 chance someone will add new uses of System.getProperty .. whatever the solution is. So whack-a-mole-away.