RFR: 8304825: MacOS metal pipeline - window isn't painted if created during display sleep

Ajit Ghaisas aghaisas at openjdk.org
Fri Apr 7 11:54:49 UTC 2023

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023 04:36:39 GMT, Phil Race <prr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I'm assuming this is something we should have done already to save wasted work ?
i.e if the screen is asleep, we don't need to be connected to it and updating windows ?

We start the DisplayLink from Metal RenderQueue whenever there is something to be painted from back buffer to the window buffer. Once the window buffer is painted in a DisplayLink callback, we stop the DisplayLink.
We were not stopping the DisplayLink on screen sleep event. This is what this PR adds.

> But I see the same stopDisplayLink call in the wakeup code ... any issues with the extra call there ?

I have added that call as a sanity before releasing the Displaylink. It will be a no-op if DisplayLink is not running.