RFR: 8303904: Transparent Windows Paint Wrong (Opaque) w/o Volatile Buffering [v2]

Jeremy duke at openjdk.org
Tue Apr 11 04:47:04 UTC 2023

> The original write-up contains two complaints:
> 1. The window is opaque, so pixels that should be transparent are black.
> 2. The window is the wrong resolution. On a 200% resolution monitor it renders as if it were 100% (so it looks pixelated).
>
> I recommend splitting this up into separate tickets.
>
> This PR addresses the first (probably most offensive) issue: the window is now transparent.
>
> I experimented with a change that resolves the second issue (image resolution) here:
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/90735b7c01c66268776998c1b6aedc3250427002
>
> ... that works, but IMO that looks riskier and should be part of a separate discussion.
>
> I only have a Mac configured right now to test against, so I've confirmed the MTLGraphicsConfig and CGLGraphicsConfig changes. The other GraphicsConfig changes are identical, but I haven't confirmed that this new test passes in those environments. (I did confirm that those GraphicsConfig files appear to support getColorModel(Transparency.TRANSLUCENT), so I'm optimistic they'll be OK.

Jeremy has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  8303904: avoid System.exit(1)

  mrserb recommended against this in a separate PR

  https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/13408#discussion_r1162182212

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13196/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13196/files/4284d4cd..ffc8ff44