RFR: 8305578: X11GraphicsDevice.pGetBounds() is slow in remote X11 sessions [v2]

Maxim Kartashev mkartashev at openjdk.org
Thu Apr 13 15:31:59 UTC 2023

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 00:09:39 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Maxim Kartashev has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Added X11GraphicsDevice.bounds
>
> src/java.desktop/unix/classes/sun/awt/X11/XToolkit.java line 881:
>
>> 879:     }
>> 880:
>> 881:     private final Hashtable<GraphicsConfiguration, Insets> cachedInsets = new Hashtable<>();
>
> You do not need to create a handcrafted list of gc->insets, but instead, you can save that information directly in the GC. In that case, each GC should be added as a listener(DisplayChangedListener) to the SGE. I think the same should be done for the GD+bounds, see how it is implemented on macOS(CGraphicsDevice#displayChanged)

I did what you suggested to `X11GraphicsDevice.bounds`; please, take a look.

As for insets, it is more complicated because they may change without `displayChanged()` being called; this happens when, for example, the size of the dock bar changes. We are notified of the `_NET_WORKAREA` property change for the root window that is not accompanied by the ConfigureNotify event. I'm reluctant to send `displayChanged()` in this case; it seems like an overkill for a change in the work area.