RFR: 8303796: Optionally build fully statically linked JDK image

Jiangli Zhou jiangli at openjdk.org
Fri Apr 28 19:52:57 UTC 2023

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 04:57:45 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

> @jianglizhou I thought this work was proposed to be done under the Project Leyden umbrella? The other static-build tweaks have been fine but this seems to be part of a bigger, yet unspecified, project that may need to be covered by a JEP.

Hi David, indeed the hermetic project was proposed under Project Leyden umbrella. The makefile changes are related to the static linking only, e.g.:

- make the existing static build support more complete for demonstrating static linking capability
- produce a needed libjvm.a
- producing a testable statically linked launcher binary

That gives us a base for exposing/resolving needed runtime work for supporting static linking fully in JDK. Either covering the makefile work by a JEP or handling it as an incremental change without JEP sounds good. The later might fit the current purpose better.