RFR: 8269806: Emoji rendering on Linux [v18]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Sun Aug 13 19:44:32 UTC 2023

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:09:29 GMT, Nikita Gubarkov <ngubarkov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Composite fonts can now be nested, holding list of Font2Ds instead of PhysicalFonts. This gives more flexibility for implementing complex font fallback approaches and is necessary to implement proper emoji+VS fallback on Windows. Glyph code encoding was changed to support this, previously glyph code occupied 24 low bits and slot was encoded in 8 high bits, now slot is encoded in low bits instead (number of bits is dynamic) and glyph code is shifted, which allows stacking of glyph codes for nested composite mappers.

Doing this is why this proposal is sitting there. I wish you had talked about this first rather than just doing it.

You are going to have to prove it is a logical impossibility to do this without these intrusive changes just for Emoji.
Basically whatever you need this for isn't worth it.
I'm at the point of wanting to start over.