RFR: 8301854: C4819 warnings were reported in libfreetype on Windows

Yasumasa Suenaga ysuenaga at openjdk.org
Tue Feb 7 00:04:19 UTC 2023

On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 12:34:36 GMT, Yasumasa Suenaga <ysuenaga at openjdk.org> wrote:

> This is subtask of https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/12427 .
>
> I have seen C4819 warning in libfreetype files on Windows (CP932: Japanese locale)
>

> d:\github-forked\jdk\src\java.desktop\share\native\libfreetype\src\autofit\afscript.h(1): warning C4819: ファイルは、現在のコード ページ (932) で表示できない文字を含んでいます。データの損失を防ぐために、ファイルを Unicode 形式で保存してください。
>

> I added C4819 to DISABLED_WARNINGS_microsoft for libfontmanager and for libfreetype because they are 3rd-party libraries.

I grep'ed (with `-i`) in `doc` directory with `LANG`, `utf`, `locale`, but I could not find out them. I guess locale of build environment is not mentioned clearly. Is it correct?

I agree with you to use English locale (e.g. `LANG=C`) is prefered, but I guess may difficult when we use WSL because `LANG` is not propergate to Windows environment.

I confirmed that it is succeeded to build with `--with-extra-cflags=/utf-8 --with-extra-cxxflags=/utf-8`, so I think it is better to add them to build option for Windows by default, but I'm not sure it is correct because no documents mention to the locale. What do you think?