RFR: 8285368: Overhaul doc-comment inheritance [v5]

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.org
Thu Jun 8 09:36:50 UTC 2023

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 09:26:16 GMT, Pavel Rappo <prappo at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this long-awaited change to documentation inheritance.
>>
>> This change improves "methods comment algorithm" and introduces directed documentation inheritance. While "methods comment algorithm" -- automatic search for inheritable documentation -- has been improved, it still cannot read an author's mind so as to always find the documentation they intended. From now on, an author can state their intention, by providing an FQN of the superclass or superinterface from which to inherit documentation:
>>
>> ​{@inheritDoc S}
>>
>> Which is exactly what I did to counterbalance some of the JDK API Documentation changes caused by the change to "methods comment algorithm".
>
> Pavel Rappo has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   feedback: DocLint terminology

I will only comment on the changes to the `java.base` classes.

I had a look at the changes to these and they looked right to me. Though I’m not an expert on collections it seemed that you picked the right ‘semantically closer parent’ to inherit from.
Probably @stuart-marks  could give a more authoritative opinion.