RFR: 8308780: Fix the Java Integer types on Windows [v9]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Thu Jun 22 20:08:09 UTC 2023

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:40:23 GMT, Julian Waters <jwaters at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> On Windows, the basic Java Integer types are defined as long and __int64 respectively. In particular, the former is rather problematic since it breaks compilation as the Visual C++ becomes stricter and more compliant with every release, which means the way Windows code treats long as a typedef for int is no longer correct, especially with -permissive- enabled. Instead of changing every piece of broken code to match the jint = long typedef, which is far too time consuming, we can instead change jint to an int (which is still the same 32 bit number type as long), as there are far fewer problems caused by this definition. It's better to get this over and done with sooner than later when a future version of Visual C++ finally starts to break on existing code
>
> Julian Waters has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Revert "GetDIBits should take an LPVOID"
>
>   This reverts commit 7dbe5dea84b1afb2235b66da581bcd3c1da4d6ac.

Looks fine to me, except for a few comments.

The size of the types for `jint` and `jlong` remains the same after amending the typedef `jni_md.h`. Yet I'm still cautious about it. You should have an approval from hotspot.

Please also update the copyright year in the modified files.

src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/java2d/windows/GDIRenderer.cpp line 325:

> 323:     }
> 324:
> 325:     jint sx, sy, ex, ey;

I agree with David, these should have type `int` as accepted by the [`::Arc`](https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/wingdi/nf-wingdi-arc) function. However, the `AngleToCoord` function is declared with `jint` as parameters.

https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/84f8e08c2ecc90ec50a13406fb99b8cd52f33b7c/src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/java2d/windows/GDIRenderer.cpp#L52

Its declaration can be changed to `int`, it's an internal function used by `*_doDrawArc` and `*_doFillArc`.

src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/windows/ShellFolder2.cpp line 1084:

> 1082:
> 1083:             jint *colorBits = nullptr;
> 1084:             int *maskBits = nullptr;

Suggestion:

            jint *colorBits = NULL;
            int *maskBits = NULL;

I'd rather keep `NULL` — it's used consistently inside `_Win32ShellFolder2_getIconBits` function as well as through the file, so `nullptr` is out of place.

src/java.desktop/windows/native/libawt/windows/awt_MenuBar.cpp line 148:

> 146: }
> 147:
> 148: AwtMenuItem* AwtMenuBar::GetItem(jobject target, jint index)

What is the reason for using `jint` instead of `int`?

The member function is used in for-loop which iterates with `int` loop variable. Yet the implementation of `GetItem` up-calls into Java.

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14125#pullrequestreview-1493854643
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14125#discussion_r1238938194
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14125#discussion_r1238948758
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14125#discussion_r1238966069