RFR: 8266571: Sequenced Collections

Stuart Marks smarks at openjdk.org
Mon Mar 20 23:45:07 UTC 2023

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:53:52 GMT, ExE Boss <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Yes. Previously compiled binaries will also throw `NoSuchMethodError` if they call `super.keySet()`. Clearly these are incompatibilities; the question is whether they are severe enough to warrant pursuing a different approach. If you have any thoughts about how to assess the severity of this change, please let me know.
>
> Won’t `super.keySet()` resolve to a bridge method in that case?

Oh yes, in this case it might resolve to a bridge method, and it might actually work. In this case. However, the compatibility matrix for covariant overrides and bridge methods is quite complex; see

https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2012-February/009119.html

for why we decided not to add covariant `clone` overrides. Similar issues might arise here.