RFR: 8318364: Add an FFM-based implementation of harfbuzz OpenType layout

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Wed Oct 18 20:07:45 UTC 2023

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 02:55:34 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> @prrace did you check how this change affects the performance, especially startup? I have experimented with Panama for littlecms: https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8313344 and found that the biggest issue is a cold start, 8 ms vs 100ms. An example of the report: https://jmh.morethan.io/?gists=4df0f27789cc4b0ca91fc5b2d677fe39,900b547e073cc1567971f46bfea151db

Hmm. I didn't notice this comment until today. No emails for drafts ?
Probably I should not have posted this PR even as draft if it is going to get attention as it isn't really ready for that.

But yes, I had already measured startup + warmup and noticed that's an issue.
It may be doesn't matter so much for OpenType layout as other things that are always on the critical path, but it is definitely a concern.