RFR: JDK-8311113: Remove invalid pointer cast and clean up setLabel() in awt_MenuItem.cpp [v3]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Fri Sep 1 18:25:47 UTC 2023

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 18:15:37 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aivanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Which does make it sound very much like JAWS is getting the data from somewhere else.
>
> There's no other way…
>
> > Hmm, I didn't know the AWT heavyweights participated in that. Only the Swing components.
>
> It is also my understanding, so I was surprised JAWS can read AWT menus.

`Menu.java` and `MenuItem.java` have *Accessibility support* sections where `AccessibleAWTMenu` and `AccessibleAWTMenuItem` classes are defined.

https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/2f7c65ec48dc35d75eed8af411d482ba40de70dc/src/java.desktop/share/classes/java/awt/Menu.java#L618-L628

https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/2f7c65ec48dc35d75eed8af411d482ba40de70dc/src/java.desktop/share/classes/java/awt/MenuItem.java#L815-L825

Thus AWT components implement the same accessibility interfaces that Swing components do. JAWS uses these interfaces. Mystery solved.