RFR: 8294156: Demo positioning of multiple test windows [v2]

Alexander Zvegintsev azvegint at openjdk.org
Wed Sep 13 21:20:40 UTC 2023

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:50:54 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aivanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The manual test frame does not provide any layout managers for test windows, the user has to implement one. This demonstrates how to position a several test UI windows.
>>
>> We may include some implementations into the manual test framework in the future.
>>
>> **This PR is not meant to be integrated.** It just demonstrates the feature of adding multiple test windows to `PassFailJFrame` which is reviewed in #15665.
>>
>> To play around, you can checkout the PR branch using the commands that bots add.
>>
>> Path to the tests: `test/jdk/java/awt/Window/8294156`.
>>
>> Alternatively, you can checkout directly from my fork:
>>

>> git fetch https://github.com/aivanov-jdk/jdk.git demo-manyTestWindows:demo-manyTestWindows
>> git checkout demo-manyTestWindows
>
> Alexey Ivanov has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   8294156: Additional layouts for vertically positioned test windows

test/jdk/java/awt/Window/8294156/manyWindows/TwoWindowColumnsH.java line 96:

> 94:     private static final int COLUMNS = 3;
> 95:
> 96:     public static void positionTestUI(List<? extends Window> windows,

When I thought about adding more than one window, I thought about simply placing everything in a row.

Looking at all this I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand a person using all this for the first time will have to spend some time to understand how it works, or take the easy way out and manually arrange the windows.
On the other hand, the result is impressive, and can make life easier if you don't have to write positionTestUI every time.

I think if we do go this way, we should add some standard positionTestUI implementations to PassFailJFrame so that we don't have to reinvent the wheel every time.

It is also worth considering that looks like we don't have many tests with more than 2-3 windows.