RFR: 8219641: java/awt/font/Rotate/RotatedTextTest.java fails on Linux: Test failed for angle 15.0

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Tue Sep 19 20:00:44 UTC 2023

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:19:05 GMT, Arno Zeller <azeller at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The test fails on newer SLES versions that have RobotoSlab-Regular.ttf as default font. I suggest to try getting a DejaVu font as default on Linux because it is known to work without issues.

Sounds like (1) we don't have any reasonable idea of a small error to allow and (2) we don't know that this test isn't just getting lucky with the fonts for which it does pass. So I am not comfortable with either solution.

And looking at the image we have a badly wandering baseline which seems like rounding (from somewhere) is partly to blame.

I'd really like to dig into the specifics of what's happening here for the advances of the code points here - and see what they are before truncation (ie what is the 26.6 value) as well as afterwards. I don't know what we'll find but I'd like to make a more informed decision.