Usage of iconv()

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Wed Apr 24 11:24:32 UTC 2024

That is a good question. libiconv is used only on macOS and AIX, for a
few libraries, as you say. I just tried removing -liconv from the macOS
dependencies and recompiled, just to see what would happen. There were
three instances for macOS: libsplashscreen, libjdwp and libinstrument.

Out of these, libinstrument compiled and linked fine without the -liconv
argument. It looks like iconv is referenced in
unix/.../EncodingSupport_md.c, but otoh it looks like it is as much (or
as little) referenced on macOS as on linux (where we never have linked
with -liconv) so it is perhaps just dead code. I did not study it in
detail. The code looks very much duplicated from libjdwp.

The other two actually failed linking, so they do use libiconv.

libsplashscreen uses it in splashscreen_sys.m, where it is used to
convert the jar file name.

libjdwp uses it in utf_util.c, where it is used to convert file name and
command lines, iiuc.

It is likely that we have similar (but better) ways to convert charsets
elsewhere in our libraries that can be used instead of libiconv. I guess
these are not the only two places where a filename must be converted
from the platform charset to UTF8.

/Magnus