RFR: 8320676 : Manual printer tests have no Pass/Fail buttons, instructions close set 1 [v3]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Tue Feb 13 14:36:07 UTC 2024

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:16:55 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aivanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Renjith Kannath Pariyangad has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Disposed g2D object and similar test parm into one line
>
> test/jdk/java/awt/print/PrinterJob/Cancel/PrinterJobCancel.java line 57:
>
>> 55:              "was properly cancelled.\n" +
>> 56:              "You will need to kill the application manually since regression\n" +
>> 57:              "tests apparently aren't supposed to call System.exit()";
>
> The tester cannot see the console. The test must handle this situation and provide the feedback to the tester as required or fail the test automatically.
>
> The tester should not terminate the application manually, the test must exit gracefully in either case: success or failure.
>
> It could be reasonable to submit a new bug for this test only and use the changes in this PR as the starting point. I didn't analyse thoroughly the tests when I submitted this bug. You already deemed, there were too many tests for a single changeset.

Update the instructions to explain the test will continue automatically.

> test/jdk/java/awt/print/PrinterJob/ValidatePage/ValidatePage.java line 180:
>
>> 178:         });
>> 179:
>> 180:         Button pageButton = new Button("Page Setup..");
>
> Suggestion:
>
>         Button pageButton = new Button("Page Setup...");
>
> Three dots are usually used to indicate a button opens a dialog to request more details.

It's still relevant.

> test/jdk/java/awt/print/PrinterJob/ValidatePage/ValidatePage.java line 195:
>
>> 193:         });
>> 194:
>> 195:         Button chooseButton = new Button("Printer..");
>
> Suggestion:
>
>         Button chooseButton = new Button("Printer...");

It's still relevant.

> test/jdk/java/awt/print/PrinterJob/ValidatePage/ValidatePage.java line 229:
>
>> 227:         add(panel);
>> 228:         TextArea ta = new TextArea(10, 45);
>> 229:         String ls = System.getProperty("line.Separator", "\n");
>
> Does `\n` not work in `TextArea` on all the platforms? In particular on Windows? If it does, just embed it into the text below.

It does work correctly with `\n`; please embed `\n` into the string and remove `ls` variable.

> test/jdk/java/awt/print/PrinterJob/ValidatePage/ValidatePage.java line 259:
>
>> 257:                         o == PageFormat.LANDSCAPE ? "LANDSCAPE" :
>> 258:                                 o == PageFormat.REVERSE_LANDSCAPE ? "REVERSE_LANDSCAPE" :
>> 259:                                         "<invalid>"));
>
> The code for converting orientation to string is repeated here. Create a helper method which does it — eliminate duplicate code.

Create a helper method which returns the string representation of the orientation and use the helper method in both places where you convert orientation to string, specifically lines 83–88 and 251–256.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17607#discussion_r1487599250
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17607#discussion_r1487943617
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17607#discussion_r1487943861
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17607#discussion_r1487956260