RFR: 8325950: Make sure all files in the JDK pass jcheck

Magnus Ihse Bursie ihse at openjdk.org
Thu Feb 15 12:29:24 UTC 2024

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:19:31 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Since jcheck only checks file in a commit, there is a possibility of us getting files in the repository that would not be accepted by jcheck. This can happen when extending the set of files checked by jcheck, or if jcheck changes how it checks files (perhaps due to bug fixes).
>
> I have now run jcheck over the entire code base, and fixed a handful of issues. With these changes, jcheck accept the entire code base.

Some general remarks: The problems in .m4 files where not properly detected and fixed when I added .m4 to the list of checked files. The properties files were recently checked by me, so these suprrised me. It turned out I had misunderstood the jcheck criteria: I thought only leading tabs were disallowed, but it is actually tabs anywhere in the file that are banned.

In general, I have replaced tab characters with spaces aligning to tab stops at 8 characters distance.

I'll leave some remarks for individual files.

src/java.naming/share/classes/com/sun/jndi/ldap/jndiprovider.properties line 10:

> 8: java.naming.factory.object=com.sun.jndi.ldap.obj.AttrsToCorba:com.sun.jndi.ldap.obj.MarshalledToObject
> 9:
> 10: # RemoteToAttrs: Turn RMI/JRMP and RMI/IIOP object into javaMarshalledObject or

I adjusted this tab stop (with one space) so it aligned properly with the line above; I think that was the intention.

src/jdk.jdeps/share/classes/com/sun/tools/jdeps/resources/jdkinternals.properties line 41:

> 39: jdk.internal.ref.Cleaner=Use java.lang.ref.PhantomReference @since 1.2 or java.lang.ref.Cleaner @since 9
> 40: sun.awt.CausedFocusEvent=Use java.awt.event.FocusEvent::getCause @since 9
> 41: sun.font.FontUtilities=See java.awt.Font.textRequiresLayout	@since 9

This tab just looked out of place, so I replaced it with a space. (Rhyming not intentional...)

test/hotspot/jtreg/containers/docker/JfrReporter.java line 52:

> 50:             }
> 51:         }
> 52:     }

I'm not sure how a Java file ever got into the code base with trailing spaces, but a guess is that there have been a bug in jcheck that did not properly check for trailing whitespace at the end of the file, or something like that.

test/jdk/java/util/Currency/currency.properties line 18:

> 16: SB=EUR,111,2, 2099-01-01T00:00:00
> 17: US=euR,978,2,2001-01-01T00:00:00
> 18: ZZ	=	ZZZ	,	999	,	3

This looks weird, but so did the original code. I assume this is to clearly indicate this as a end of list marker.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#issuecomment-1945992837
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#discussion_r1490931378
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#discussion_r1490931979
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#discussion_r1490933432