RFR: 8185862: AWT Assertion Failure in ::GetDIBits(hBMDC, hBM, 0, 1, 0, gpBitmapInfo, 0) 'awt_Win32GraphicsDevice.cpp', at line 185 [v5]

Christoph Langer clanger at openjdk.org
Fri Feb 16 13:26:19 UTC 2024

> The assertions reported in the bug were observed spuriously and here and there broke tests in some Windows configurations.
> For instance [JDK-8266129](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8266129), [JDK-8269529](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8269529) or [JDK-8323664](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8323664) came up due to this.
>
> The problem is that in Windows environments without a valid display, e.g. started by system services or via PowerShell Remoting, one sees a Monitor with name 'Windisc' in `EnumDisplayMonitors`.
> However, it seems to be some kind of a pseudo device where you can not get a DC via `CreateDC`. This behavior/monitor type doesn't seem to be well documented, though.
>
> I hereby modify the device initialization code to only count/detect monitors where CreateDC returns non-NULL in Devices.cpp. I also add some more checking/error handling to AwtWin32GraphicsDevice::Initialize() for correctness.
>
> Furthermore, I re-enable the test `javax/swing/reliability/HangDuringStaticInitialization.java` for Windows Debug VMs, which reverts the fix from JDK-8269529 that should not be necessary any more.

Christoph Langer has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains seven additional commits since the last revision:

 - Get rid of global variables and restore old handling wrt calling ::GetDIBits
 - Merge branch 'master' into JDK-8185862
 - Little cleanup
 - Review Feedback Alexey
 - Merge branch 'master' into JDK-8185862
 - Add comments
 - JDK-8185862

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17614/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17614/files/86cc2b38..aac66c9a

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=17614&range=04
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=17614&range=03-04

  Stats: 842 lines in 26 files changed: 616 ins; 128 del; 98 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/17614/head:pull/17614