RFR: 8323170 - j2dbench is using outdated javac source/target to be able to build by itself

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Mon Jan 8 17:55:21 UTC 2024

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 13:03:22 GMT, Jiří Vaněk <jvanek at openjdk.org> wrote:

> This PR is fixig to-old values of javac source/target for jdk22.
> Note, that jdk21 suffers the same, only the target values have to be 8. I will be happy to backport this cange to jdk17 later.
>
> Note, that considering the rolling release of jdk and the reached threshold of bytecode compatibility, we will be forced to do this bump every STS, so best would be to drop this hardcoded limitation. As it obtains a bit more coding, I had filled the [JDK-8323169](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8323169) - [ j2dbench need constant updating of javac source/target ](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8323169)  and will be happy to fit it for jdk asap once this direct fix bubbles to jdk21

This has come up before. There might even be a "closed will not fix bug".
This is deliberate. The intention of the j2dbench author was to be able
to provide a stable base for the performance testing.
As such until there is no JDK available on the planet that can use -source / target 1.7, there's no reason to change this.