RFR: 8324243: Fix GCC 14 build

Julian Waters jwaters at openjdk.org
Sun Jan 21 16:38:36 UTC 2024

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:15:02 GMT, Sam James <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

> This fixes building with GCC 14:
> * Cherry-pick a fix from Harfbuzz upstream
> * Apply other `-Wcalloc-transposed-args` fixes to the JDK sources
>
> -Wcalloc-transposed-args errors out with GCC 14 as the OpenJDK build uses
> -Werror.
>
> The calloc prototype is:
>
> void *calloc(size_t nmemb, size_t size);
>

> So, just swap the number of members and size arguments to match the prototype, as
> we're initialising 1 struct of size `sizeof(struct ...)`. GCC then sees we're not
> doing anything wrong.

@thesamesam Unfortunately we can't fix the harfbuzz sources, since they are third party code. Your changes to harfbuzz code wouldn't be accepted by the client team :(

I don't believe harfbuzz has been bumped into a specific commit before, so I'm not sure about that. Perhaps you could wait till Phil sees this, for a conclusive answer

You'd need a issue on the tracker to connect to this Pull Request for anyone to see this (most reviewers don't go through these manually, they come from the mailing lists). Are you able to create one yourself, or should I create one for you?

No problem!

Just change your Pull Request title to 8324243 (The literal number) and watch the magic happen :)

By the way, your name strikes me as familiar. Have I seen you before on the gcc mailing lists?