RFR: 8233177: JTextField's size is computed incorrectly when it contains Indic or Thai characters

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Fri Jan 26 23:08:24 UTC 2024

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:18:33 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Existing regression test is failing because textfield height is not as per test's expectation..Seems like the indic character being tried to render is not being loaded (probably because of missing glyphs) leading to 0 preferredSpan from [BoxView](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blame/5a74c2a67ebcb47e51732f03c4be694bdf920469/src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/text/BoxView.java#L545-L552) which is superclass for `i18nFieldVIew`, the field view for Indic characters.
> Tried block character in the test which is now being loaded properly leading to correct height..

"[JDK-8233177] JTextField's size is computed incorrectly when it contains Indic or Thai characters"

This seems to be a copy of the original bug, but surely all we have now is a test bug ??
JDK-8233177 should be re-titled to something like
"Test case for bug JDK-8001470 fails if there are missing glyphs"

and the description really should be about that problem NOT the original problem.