RFR: 8327701: Remove the xlc toolchain [v4]

Magnus Ihse Bursie ihse at openjdk.org
Wed Mar 13 10:28:25 UTC 2024

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:50:20 GMT, Joachim Kern <jkern at openjdk.org> wrote:

> e.g. We should change the HOTSPOT_TOOLCHAIN_TYPE=xlc to aix, because it is not toolchain, but OS related. As a consequence the globalDefinitions_xlc.hpp will become globalDefinitions_aix.hpp

No, it's not that simple. First, the `globalDefinitions_<compiler>` files are included on a per-toolchain basis, not OS basis. Secondly, I think you will want to have the stuff in globalDefinitions_gcc.h. In fact, if you compare globalDefinitions_gcc.h and globalDefinitions_xlc.h side-by-side, you see that they are much more similar than you'd perhaps naively expect. The remaining differences will probably be better expressed as #ifdef AIX inside globalDefinitions_gcc.h, I assume. (But of course, in the end this is up to the hotspot team.)

I recommend doing such a side-by-side check yourself to get an understanding of the actual differences.