RFR: 8264728: When use chinese IME, the candidate box isn't moved with caret of JTextArea [v10]

Nikita Provotorov duke at openjdk.org
Wed May 8 15:59:54 UTC 2024

@prrace, hello! We were gathering the feedback for our alternative fix. It does well, except one UX flaw, which seems conceptual and not fixable - preedit text now appears in a separate system popup instead of being injected into the focused text component (since our fix uses the `XIMPreeditPosition` input style instead of `XIMPreeditCallbacks`, which have been being used by OpenJDK). It's ok for Chinese and Japanese languages, but seems unnatural for Korean (take a look at https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IJPL-54514/Problems-with-Korean-input-on-Ubuntu-22.04-unexpected-input-box-appears) _and_ any languages that use combining characters, like German (because the combining characters now are also displayed in a system popup).
It looks like this: [Screencast from 08-05-24 17:52:16.webm](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/assets/6972448/2e3a43f2-4fbb-4faf-86f8-c6fa2ab88910). I don't know if it's an acceptable change for OpenJDK, what do you think?