RFR: 8331671: Implement JEP 472: Prepare to Restrict the Use of JNI [v7]

Maurizio Cimadamore mcimadamore at openjdk.org
Fri May 17 13:23:06 UTC 2024

I'll fix this. Note that in `ModuleLayer.Controller`, all `@throws` start with capital letter, which is probably where I copied/pasted this from. I'll fix all, except for `ModuleLayer` where, for consistency, I think upper case is better.

> src/java.base/share/man/java.1 line 587:
>
>> 585: \f[V]deny\f[R]: This mode disables all illegal native access except for
>> 586: those modules enabled by the \f[V]--enable-native-access\f[R]
>> 587: command-line option.
>
> "This mode disable all illegal native access except for those modules enabled the --enable-native-access command-line option".
>
> This can be read to mean that modules granted native access with the command line option is also illegal native access An alternative is to make the second part of the sentence a new sentence, something like "Only modules enabled by the --enable-native-access command line option may perform native access.

I've simplified the text to:

This mode disables illegal native access. That is, any illegal native access causes an `IllegalCallerException`.
This mode will become the default in a future release.

I think it's not necessary to state again the dependency on `--enable-native-access` as we already defined what "illegal native access" means.