RFR: 8331671: Implement JEP 472: Prepare to Restrict the Use of JNI [v8]

Maurizio Cimadamore mcimadamore at openjdk.org
Tue May 21 08:47:05 UTC 2024

On Tue, 21 May 2024 07:20:05 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Have you looked into / thought about how this will work for jpackaged apps ? I suspect that both the existing FFM usage and this will be options the application packager will need to supply when building the jpackaged app - the end user cannot pass in command line VM options. Seems there should be some testing of this as some kind of native access could be a common case for jpackaged apps.
>
> I don't see any tests in test/jdk/tools/jpackage that creates an application that uses JNI code. Seems like a good idea to add this via another PR and it specify --java-options so that the application launcher enables native access. It could test jpackage using jlink too.

These are all good suggestions. I have not looked into jpackage, but yes, I would expect that the jpackage user would need to provide extra options when packaging the application. The same is true for creating JDK image jlink (which we use in the jextract build) - although, in that case the end user also has the possibility to pass options on the command line.