RFR: 8332416: Add more font selection options to Font2DTest [v2]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Tue May 21 16:54:06 UTC 2024

On Tue, 21 May 2024 07:22:49 GMT, Tejesh R <tr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I have an observation, not sure if it's supposed to be this way or not. The Style/SubFamily type selected in other mentioned type (Select font using Family and Style/SubFamily/Full Name) has an impact on each other type. For example, if we select bold as Style and then in type 2 we select SubFamily as .plain then it'll be bold+.plain right? Or its supposed to be only .plain in type 2?

Probably not.
I was OK with "Style" being applied to "FontName" because we show the "Style" menu alongside font name.
Ordinarily you would use PLAIN but being able to select BOLD then allows you to test what happens in our implementation
when you say "Arial Italic with style Bold please" .. we figure out that you want "Arial Bold Italic".

But if we are using Family + SubFamily you don't see the "Style" menu, but I think you are right that it probably remembers the last selected style and applies it and then the substitution will happen as described above, but the UI doesn't show this.
To avoid this I think I can just reset "Style" to "PLAIN" whenever switching the UI to use SubFamily.