RFR: 8332103: Add missing `@since` tags to `java.desktop`

Nizar Benalla nbenalla at openjdk.org
Wed May 29 21:43:02 UTC 2024

On Wed, 29 May 2024 11:38:02 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aivanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Why is it? There's history beyond 10 and 9

As I've explained before, a program relying on the historical data built into `javac` can only give accurate reports for newer releases. As that data only goes back so far. I was left to investigate and couldn't find source code of JDK 1-2 internally after some digging.

To fix old code, we would need to find a new way to map elements. I don't think this would need to be added to the checker tool as it doesn't need to run regularly. It can be a one time script, fix it once and be done with this. It's out of scope for my current work.

The good thing is that once these tags (in this PR) are fixed, this will no longer be an issue and the errors reported will be clear and simple. As we would only be dealing with missing/wrong information in current releases.

I agree I should've looked more, because the `@since` values deserve to be correct.