RFR: 8314070: javax.print: Support IPP output-bin attribute extension [v9]

Alexander Scherbatiy alexsch at openjdk.org
Thu May 30 20:40:11 UTC 2024

On Thu, 30 May 2024 04:49:21 GMT, Prasanta Sadhukhan <psadhukhan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I updated the `PrintService.isAttributeValueSupported()` method that it always returns true for CustomOutputBin class and returns true for an OutputBin constant only if its original name (ipp case) or the name without `-` sign (cups case) equals to one of the supported output bin choice name.
>
> What I understood is, it is acceptable to identify or get
> tray-1, tray-2, tray-3 name
> instead of descriptive names like
> TOP, MIDDLE, BOTTOM respectively etc
> so as such it can support upto 11 trays ie FROM TOP till LARGE_CAPACITY
>
> but am not sure if it is to be added in addition or in-place of the descriptive names?

It is easy to add new constants to a public API but there is no way to remove them.
OutpuBin constants work only if they are listed among the supported output bins.
There is always a way to lookup `tray-n` output bin through the supported ones and it would work in the same way if it was included as a predefined constant.