CodeTools proposal: "AsmTools"

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Thu Dec 4 22:35:56 UTC 2014

Brian,

Thank you for this proposal.

I note that the tools will be of more general use than just "VM
class-loader rejection of invalid classfiles".

I see these tools as being generally useful for generating "atypical"
class files for testing all OpenJDK tools that consume classfiles, where
"atypical" includes invalid or malformed class files, and valid
classfiles containing content in a form not otherwise normally available
(e.g. from javac.)  For example, the JVM Spec allows multiple
LineNumberTable attributes, but javac only ever generates a single one.

In addition, these tools will be useful for representing class files in
a very low level form, but still text, so that such files can be checked
into a repo.  As a consequence, once these tools are available, it will
be worth considering the possibility of integrating them into jtreg, so
that we can include and use very specific class files in unit and
regression tests.

-- Jon