RFR(XS): 7901298: jcheck should check that every file ends with exactly one newline

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Thu May 7 09:25:22 UTC 2015

Hi Iris,

can you please explain what you mean with "On push to a server, the
entire repository is checked for compliance to jcheck, not just the
pushed changesets". Is this really the case for every push - i.e. if I
push a change to lets say jdk9/dev/hotspot does this mean that jcheck
is really run on the revision range 0:tip? And if that's the case,
what's the reason for it? I don't understand what that should be good
for, because commited changes can not be changed anyway.

I also doubt that 'hg jcheck --rev 0:tip' is really run on every push
simply because of performance reasons. When I push a change that's
usually a matter of seconds. But when I tested 'hg jcheck --rev 0:tip'
as I wrote in one of my previous mails that took more than 10 minutes
on the hotspot repository.

So if it would turn out that 'hg jcheck --rev 0:tip' is only used in
special scenarios, would it be acceptable to use jcheck with a special
command line switch in these scenarios which turns the test for proper
EOF format off? I could add such a command line option if that would
make sense.

But in my opinion, this new check only makes sense if it will be
enabled by default, otherwise nobody would use it.

Regards,
Volker