PROPOSAL: Method and Field Literals

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 07:44:18 PDT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009, Roel Spilker wrote:
> About the remaining 4000: the search did not take into account that the
> proposal could only be used in cases where you now use a String literal.
> The search also gives results for invocations with a String variable, for
> instance names that are read from a configuration file. So that will remove
> some more.
>
> Secondly, the proposal only allows Field and Method literals that are
> visible to the caller. But my experience is that I use reflection often to
> access private members of other classes. So more false positives in the
> search results.
My Lightweight Properties proposal allows access to all Fields, and so uses
getDeclaredField to find them.  It makes the assumption that while the
field might be private, it should follow the presumption that had you written
your own getter and setter you would have made it public and therefore
sets the bit in the Field object that allows access.

It does not however cover Methods.

David