Array syntax for collections [was Re: Extended arrays declaration and access syntax with use of enumerated types]

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Sat Mar 14 10:20:26 PDT 2009

Mark Mahieu wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2009, at 14:34, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>> At JavaEdge
>> http://www.jroller.com/scolebourne/entry/jdk_7_language_changes_javaedge,
>> it was the least popular of the 10 options presented (and more 'this is
>> a bad idea' than any other proposal). I quite like it personally, so it
>> wasn't presenter bias!
>
> That's interesting.  Did you get any feeling for *why* it was disliked?

Not really. The closest I got was a sense that Java should be WYSISYG,
and list[0] hides the .get(0) (and possible NPE).

I wasn't convinced, but equally I don't find this as compelling as ARM,
NPE handling and extending for-each. As a result I personally voted them
at the bottom - number 10 of 10, matching the general view.

Stephen