Proposal: Collection Literals

Joshua Bloch jjb at google.com
Tue Mar 31 08:33:16 PDT 2009

Neal,
Even if we were to reify generics in a future release, arrays of sets would
remain a bad idea. Arrays are covariant and sets are non-variant.  The
combination of the two is problematic.  Currently it isn't even typesafe
(hence the ban on generic array creation).  With reification of generics,
arrays of sets could be made typesafe, but would still admit the possibility
of runtime errors that would be caught at compile time if you used
List<Set<T>> in place of Set<T>[].

            Josh