problem building compiler with nb 6m10

Tom Ball Tom.Ball at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 3 10:31:12 PDT 2007

We don't actually need a current javac source, just a recent
publicly-available one (public svn repository, source bundle, whatever).
  We then apply a patch file to make the few changes we have (mostly
access), but as a nice side-effect any changes Robert or Lubo pulled
down get included in the patch, so we're then current.  It's not a
permanent solution, but it beats the current system these guys are using
of emailing jar files to each other from a source management perspective.

Generating and committing patch files is a pain, but there are a couple
of advantages to this approach.  First, anyone inside or outside the
team can regenerate the source base that our extended javac.jar used,
enabling source debugging and profiling of that code.  Second, we
fulfill our GPL obligation to make our changes publicly accessible.
Third, we don't have to bother the javac team (Per, are you listening?)
while they are working on a long-term solution.

Tom