compiling to byte-code vs java

Jonathan Gibbons Jonathan.Gibbons at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 10 07:21:51 PDT 2007

Per,

I don't doubt that you might be able to do better by going straight
to bytecodes.
The issue was always that it was thought to be quicker and safer to
create a
compiler that went via Java trees.   The optimizations could come in
phase 2,
once we have a working compiler.  Until then, it is more important to
create
a compiler that works that to polish the bits.

-- Jon