JSR199 FileObjects don't obey general contract of equals.

Jonathan Gibbons Jonathan.Gibbons at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 21 11:05:47 PDT 2007

Really?

Compiler gets the canonical path of one file successfully.

Network goes down (It has been known to happen, even at Sun.)

Compiler tries to get the canonical path of a similar file, using an
NFS path like /net/machine.domain/file, which fails because
machine.domain is inaccessible. java.io.File throws an IOException
because it cannot determine the canonical file.

The compiler falls back to using getAbsoluteFile, and incorrectly
determines these files are different, even though they might have
been symlink equivalent had the network been working.

That's not a bug in java.io.File.  It is arguably a bug in the
compiler for using File.getCanonicalFile in JavaFileObject.equals.

-- Jon