Bytecode generation, Source code mappings, JCov, Future

Alex Rau alex at retroduction.org
Tue Apr 22 04:04:43 PDT 2008

On 22.04.2008, at 00:16, Robert Field wrote:

> I ported JCov to java.lang.instrument (a fully Java API) not to JVM
> TI (a native API).  And it is now in active use internal to Sun.
> There were plans to make it open source, but I haven't heard
> anything about this being done -- though I don't track the project
> anymore.
>
> I terms of character position, this is something that has been
> actively requested for years -- it would need to be implemented by
> javac.  This is needed for tools like debuggers, profilers,
> coverage analysis, etc.  But it such an interface has not been
> formally defined.  javac does have or did have an unofficial mode
> for generating character position info (for JCov, as you mention),
> but I am not familiar with it or its status.  Compiler folk...
>
> -Robert

Thanks for clarification ! That underlines my impression that the
character position related stuff embedded in the existing "JCov"
implementation is *not* superseded by any JVMTI (or as you said
java.lang.instrument) port and that getting character positions for
post-compilation tools is a useful feature.

My patch sent to compiler-dev at openjdk.java.net yesterday provides a
basic interface for making character positions in a simple format
accessible to "user-space".

Best regards,

  Alex