Request for reviews (M): 6939134: JSR 292 adjustments to method handle invocation

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Mar 31 17:33:13 PDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Neal Gafter wrote:

> I continue to object to language extensions of this kind (i.e. nontrivial additions to the Java programming language that do not benefit Java programmers).

This particular change supports signature polymorphism for MethodHandle.invokeExact, MethodHandle.invokeGeneric, and any static method in InvokeDynamic.  That's not a change except in the naming of the MH methods, and invokeGeneric is partially at your request.

To speak to your continued objection:  This language extension (signature polymorphism of specific methods) is necessary to any programmer who (like me) implements dynamic languages using JSR 292, and uses the JVM's systems programming language.  Since that language is Java, that makes me (in that role) a Java programmer who gets benefit from those language features.

> In any case, you did not provide a link for jdk changes.

Oops, a typo.  Here it is:

 http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/6939134/jdk-webrev.00/

-- John